MP Embed Dev Blog
Feature Requests, Changelog and Tentative Roadmap
YouTube 360 Videos are now fully supported by MPEmbed Premium. Simply add them to the highlight reel as you would a normal YouTube Video. The difference is that you will be able to control panning, while standard videos have their controls disabled and replaced by MPEmbed to suppress display of related videos .
In addition to 360 Video support, the YouTube player will now inherit the language settings from MPEmbed.
Finally, for those of you who missed the additional ‘More Help’ section of the ‘Help Screen’, this has been restored – along with mode specific help screens for Dollhouse, Walkthrough, Floorplan and 360 Views modes. Did you even know that the help screen changes during these modes? I didn’t before tonight!
Announcements open up many new opportunities for storytelling and documentation with Matterport Spaces. There are some occasions where storytelling and mobile might clash – or where your viewer simply wants to view the space distraction free. By popular request, announcements have now inherited the ‘visibility toggle’ – just like the about panel.
Oh, and now the minimap slides when toggling it 🙂 Gotta be consistent, right?
Measurements are a useful tool, but they can only be viewed in Workshop. With MPEmbed, you can now display your measurements on the minimap!
As an added bonus, imperial / metric is automatically detected based on your space settings. Measurements are in 3D, despite the display being limited to 2D.
- Premium Checkboxes – Sometimes it would take two clicks to check a box, this has been fixed.
- Panel Scrolling Issues – Scrollbars would not always appear when a space loaded for the mattertag panel or highlight panel. This has been resolved.
- Blocked ability to navigate tour while YouTube video plays – Because you should not be able to.
- Minimap Color Filters – Minimap color filters were not being applied during load. Fixed.
- Minimap Rotation Controls – Rotation controls were always appearing, regardless of option set. Fixed. Also, if one were to hold the left mouse button and then press the right mouse button, it would cause the minimap to never stop rotating. Ouch! Fixed this weird bug. Also fixed on the zoom controls.
- Minor UI Text Changes – You may notice that some of the minor text has changed in the Premium language options for analytics-related text. I have made changes in order to unify how events are logged to analytics and made the text a bit more flexible to integrate for future integrations.
You now have the ability to set background music to your Matterport Space. Users will be able to turn on / off the music from a native UI icon right next to the tour controls. You may also set the volume and whether or you you would like the audio to repeat. A non-repeating background track is a great way to provide an audio intro!
For non-Premium users:
|&bgmusic=https://…||Address to audio file (mp3, ogg, or wav). Must be https://|
|&bgmusicloop=1||Loop background audio|
|&bgmusicvol=0.5||Set volume from 0.1 (10%) to 1 (100%)|
- Removed rounded borders on color filters.
- Color filters now turn to default UI color when hovered.
- Removed extra space at bottom of highlights panel.
- Changed hover color on highlights reel (was black, now is staying white).
- Changed font sizes for announcements to reflect the same font sizes in the title area of the about panel (consistency!)
- Confetti disabled on mobile as it does not perform well.
- Fixed &reels (was not working when highlight reel was turned off)
- Fixed display of custom floor names
- Fixed button that minimizes the about panel — wasn’t allowing people to click it.
- Fixing &reels caused normal highlights to disappear, which is fixed.
- Left side of screen was unclickable, which was fixed too.
- Floor Menu was either invisible or visible — as opposed to open / closed. For desktop users, one would rarely click on the invisible menu. For mobile users, the menu fell in a logical place to click to move.
Got an amazing aerial video that you’d like to bundle with your Matterport Space? How about an awesome cat video that you’d love to share. Using 3D Tours for training? Add a training video.
The YouTube integration uses the YouTube API and adds a custom start/stop/play mechanism so that related videos are not shown within your space. Videos are also whitelabelled — neat, right?
Your MPEmbed Space can have a global color filter as well as individual per-pano filters.
If you would like to see which filter is being applied – you can roll your mouse over the recently added filter toggle. If the toggle is on, the name of the filter will be crossed out too!
After much hard work writing all sorts of crazy code in a futile attempt to resize the about panel whenever the highlight reel opens and closes combined with the appearance and disappearance of panorama announcements, I had a crazy idea and restructured these 3 elements into a vertical flex grid that automatically resizes without the need for a lot of silly coding. #cssmagic
The result? Overlapping issues should now be resolved with announcements that are multiple lines long.
In addition, a few more UI tweaks were made:
- Got rid of the 20px black area at the bottom of the Premium UI. This arrived when I shortened the header by 20px last week. More room to work!
- Mattertags Directory can now be scrolled with the mousewheel in Premium.
- Reduced spacing a bit in the footer area / highlight reel.
Lock About Panel
MPEmbed focuses on maintaining the same look and feel as Showcase. This is a core design philosophy that extends to the Premium UI Configurator where configuration of options happens within the ‘About Panel’.
One challenge during configuration is that the about panel disappears whenever the user moves. One solution would be to enable the ‘No Fade’ option (&nofade=1). As this is an option for the presentation of your space, it really shouldn’t be part of the Premium Workflow.
As a solution, a new ‘Lock About Panel Fading’ icon has been added. It’s in a really easy to find location, right beside the standard Matterport UI icons.
If you are using global or per-pano color filters, it is nice to be able to quickly A/B test your settings.
A ‘Toggle Filters’ button has been added. This allows you to quickly turn filters on and off while editing!
As a sidenote, the ‘filtersoff’ configuration option has now been removed as it is unnecessary.
Panorama Options visible in Pano List
When adding tons of panorama settings, it can be difficult to remember where you have applied all settings.
Now you can see status icons for all pano features that are turned on in the panos panel!
- Some panorama setting checkboxes were not clearing when moving between panoramas.
- Some multi-select checkbox panels required clicking twice to uncheck the previous option and check the new one.
- The Mattertag Panel would stop working if Mattertags that were nested in category folders were removed in workshop.
- &title and &brand were not working as expected. Behavior is now the same as Showcase.
You may now choose to filter out the types of views that display in the Highlight Reel or Highlight Panel. This is useful if you have created a guided tour with multiple dollhouse / floorplan views as transitions, but would not like to show them as thumbnails. In addition, it can allow one highlight reel to be used for snapshots only in the ‘reel’, but perhaps showing the dollhouse and floorplan views in the panel. It’s up to you!
MPEmbed’s users are amazing and I LOVE how fast bugs are found and resolved thanks to their feedback. I was unaware that the Mattertag Content Panel — which appears when you click on a Mattertag in the Mattertag Directory while Mattertags are turned off for the sapce — (&mdir=1&mt=0 / Disable Mattertags + Enable Panel) — was causing the entire about panel to disappear while closing. Fixed!
I also discovered a bug of my own today and resolved it quite quickly. Custom filters and events on the ENTRY panorama were not being applied when a tour began. This was a quick fix.
If you discover something that is not working as you expect, please drop a line! Fixes are fast and I could not possibly find them all without your help! You’re all my quality assurance team — and you guys do not miss a beat!
So, thank you!
Here’s to a new year with so much more to do, create and enhance!!!!
Do you need a fancy invoice to help you with writing off MPEmbed this tax season? We’ve got you covered.
You can now access a printable invoice for each month — or a single invoice for the entire year — within the ‘Billing’ tab. Be sure to complete the ‘profile’ tab to provide the information that you would like to see on your invoice.
Need a PDF? Just ‘Print as PDF’ 🙂
Premium users can now see a history of payments from the control panel including their subscription ID and transaction IDs for each payment (which should appear on your credit card statement.)
This is also great if you change subscriptions or have issues with payment as the actual transaction dates will display.
I’m hoping to add the ability to upgrade your subscription from your control panel as well as cancel your subscription. I’m not too much of a fan of cancellations, but even less of a fan of not providing the option.
Now MPEmbed features text-to-speech for announcements! The voice that reads your text will change based on the language that you are using! Of course, this means that if you are writing in all caps, the language that you choose might opt to spell out the letters. This feature is Best Experienced in Chrome!
And … Thanks to Paolo Tosolini, MPEmbed is now available in Italian!!! This is the first time that Matterport Showcase has been available in Italian, and it can be used by anyone simply by using the following link:
Another great reason why MPEmbed rocks!
You can now set text to appear as users navigate your space. ‘Announcements’ are attached to individual panoramas. You can add the same announcements to multiple panoramas in order to constantly show the name of the room that you’re in — or you can hide them like easter eggs.
Additionally, you can now also set the colors of hotspots on the minimap individually. It’s pretty exciting what you can do with MPEmbed!
I also fixed a nasty bug that was happening that may have impacted settings saved for panoramas (hotspot visibility, hotspot labels, etc.) that impacted spaces edited in the past two weeks. I reviewed everyone’s saved data and no more than 20 spaces were ‘possibly’ affected. Glad to get past that!
I should mention that ‘Announcements’ is one of many features made possible by the completion of ‘UI v2.0’. By being able to fully control the user interface, the highlight reel can be opened and the ‘Announcements’ will move up along with it. Previously, the user interface was preventing quite a bit of progress.
So … next up … adding videos into the highlight reel?
A user let me know that embedding on social media would show ‘Explore [name] in 3D’ – regardless of the language used. I’ve fixed that! (Great Feedback).
This prompted me to do a bit of an audit on the code for MPEmbed … spacing / indenting / and validating.
Spacing and indenting one’s code is merely cosmetic (many people crunch their production code to keep people from stealing it and to marginally speed up loadtime). I like good looking code!
On the other hand, having 100% standards compliant code helps resolve browser issues and speeds up render time. I’ve audited MPEmbed’s code and streamlined where needed and fixed a few little things.
For what it is worth, Matterport Showcase 3’s page has 4 errors and 3 warnings. The code that is dynamically created contains many more error messages – a total of 84 errors/warnings combined. Now of course, while MPEmbed has (currently) error/warning free — we’re still embedding Showcase, so this does not fix that.
The Mattertag Directory gets even more customizable now with color filters — only in MPEmbed Premium.
Colors can be relabelled and combined with lists to provide many amazing ways to use Matterport Spaces to document and annotate with Mattertags.
There have also been a pile of little tweaks and bug fixes to both MPEmbed and the Premium Configurator.
- White Balance and Tint controls now show results immediately.
- Hide Panel During Tour option works again!
- Play Tour button now swaps to ‘Pause’ Tour button while playing.
- Highlight Reel auto-Centers when clicking on a frame.
- Resizing the window now updates the scrollbars on the Mattertag Directory and the Highlight Reel
- Added UI Themed scrollbars to the TOS Windows
- Deleting custom UI Text will restore text to the default text.
- Fixed some cosmetic issues in Premium including mouse-over effects on the configurator menu, reducing the header by 20px and making the buttons a bit smaller.
And of course there’s plenty more coming soon 🙂
I’m thrilled to announce that full language support (English, Spanish, French, German, Russian, Chinese and Japanese) has been rolled across the new user interface.
If you would like to contribute a native translation for MPEmbed in your own language, you can use the Premium Language Tool to translate all UI elements and send the space to me — I’ll integrate your translation! So far, we have a partial translation for Polish (&lang=pl). Hopefully we’ll see more soon!
Since UI v2.0 Launch, there have been quite a few little bugs and oversights that I have been working on over the past few days. Here is a summary of what has been worked on:
- Custom Mattertag sort order & organize by folder is working again.
- &reels now automatically includes the space (&m=XXXXXXXXXXX)
- Premium – Highlight Reel + Multi-Tour Highlight Reel now work together
- Disabling Social Media sharing in Workshop now recognized.
- Disabling Guided Tour Play/Pause in Workshop now recognized.
- Fonts look much better in Firefox.
- Flip Button works in both normal and upside down mode.
- Added a Help Pop-Up to UI 2.0 – It’s simplified and I think that the verbiage is more direct. It is only in English right now (but you can edit the text in Premium).
- Added Tooltips to Map Controls
- Added additional multi-lingual translation words.
As a note – the UI disappears completely during highlight reel playback. This was intentional, but some users may want this to be optional and I’m looking into it.
&brand=0 can now be used, as it can with Matterport Showcase, to not show the ‘Presented by’ information when loading your space and in the MPEmbed details panel.
I’m thrilled to launch the new MPEmbed User Interface. On the surface, you might not notice any changes. Under the hood, the possibilities are endless and I have been able to immediately address some issues that I’ve had since the beginning of the project.
- Responsive About Panel and Highlight Reel – The height of the about panel automatically changes to allow the highlight reel to be open and extends when it is closed.
- Custom Tint – Now applies to Floorplan Selection and Social Media Selection
- Fading UI – All elements now fade in and out together perfectly in sync. **
- No Fading UI Mode – All elements now stay visible – nothing will fade if selected! **
- Distraction Free Highlight Reel Playback – Everything disappears while playing the guided tour. **
- Sharing Buttons Share Your URL – Now the sharing buttons in the UI will share the actual URL that your tour is on — not the bare my.matterport.com url. This means that sharing buttons now share MPEmbed links — or if you are embedding this tour on a WP3D Models page or your own website, it will share that website. Be advised, if you are sharing a link to your own website, the image and text that appears will be sourced from your website.
- Responsive Compass (Premium) – The compass now moves up when the highlight reel is opened.
- Full UI in Scale UI (Premium) – All controls are now available in scaled UI mode including larger controls!
- Aligned Flip Button (Premium) – The horizontal flip button is now aligned next to the floorplan button on the bottom left at all times.
- Full UI in Flip Mode (Premium) – All controls in flip mode. When using ‘horizontal flip’ mode, you will still have the highlight reel (all images flipped!), floor selection and share buttons.
- New Mattertag Icons – Replaced YouTube icon with video icon. Replaced ‘play’ icon with ‘pictures’ icon.
** Requires use of MPEmbed’s About Panel. If no about panel options are enabled, the default Showcase About Panel will display and behave normally.
MPEmbed is now awesome on mobile devices with a new responsive layout.
The Minimap and About Panel no longer have a turf war and keep to their own corners!
MPEmbed on Facebook
Things I Cannot Do Right Now
Mattertags cannot be opened via SDK. This feature will be available VERY soon as well as the ability to instantly transition to where Mattertags are located instead of ‘flying’ to the point. I’m waiting on the Showcase v3.0.6 / SDK v3.0.6 release to enable this.
I cannot change the URL that is shown when clicking the ‘share’ icon or hitting ‘u’ to get a deep link.
I cannot do anything to fix issues caused by the VR Modal Box, Terms of Service or Help Modal Boxes.